In order to properly recap the Eagles’ 2018-2019 basketball season, the Outreach Committee asked their coach, Mr. Kuan, to comment on the team’s growth and development throughout the season.
Congratulations to the Eagles for a successful thrill-filled 15-10 season. The Eagles re-joined the challenging Express League this year and came within a game of making the playoffs in a league with schools that were 5-10 times larger than Acaciawood including Avalon High School, Tarbut V Torah, St. Michael’s Prep, Brethren Christian, Laverne Lutheran and Samueli Academy. Led by senior Ben Kayekjian and a very young roster the Eagles started slowly losing winnable games against some tough opponents while they learned how to play lock-down defense. As the season progressed, the team learned to play together, communicate on defense, have balanced offense, toughness and never gave up. Some notable accomplishments:
1. The team had 7 come from behind victories where they were behind in the second half and rallied to win including: Eastside Christian, Orange County Christian, Samueli, Laverne Lutheran (twice), New Covenant, and Summit View as well as some near comebacks against St. Michael’s Prep and Brethren Christian.
2. Ben had some amazing games on offense where he carried the team to victory including games against Lutheran where he scored 19 points in a third quarter comeback and against Samueli when he scored 28 to lead the team to a thrilling victory. He was named 1st team all league
3. Fellow starters Daniel Kuan and Jonathan Rosario ended up being two excellent perimeter 3 point threats with Daniel’s stellar ballhandling and Jonathan’s smooth drives. Kuan had 2 games with 5 3’s down the stretch when the team needed it and Jonathan had one in another key game against Samueli. Both developed as the season went on.
3. Matthew and Kevin became our key interior defenders and rebounders on the back line of the defense. We look for both of them to develop their shot and offensive game for next year.
4. The supporting case of David, Aaron (game winning shot against OCC), and other players like Ken Chow (game tying shot against EC), Timothy Bolton, Jason Lee, Henrik, Kelvin, Johnson, and Alan were always ready and supported the team with great hustle and stellar defense.
5. Ultimately, the team was undone by sickness when Matthew and Jonathan missed our second to last key game with sickness. Despite being shorthanded the team fought valiantly and was within 6 points with 4 minutes to go before running out of gas at the end. The team still came back to come from behind on the road against Lutheran by hitting 4 threes in a row to start the second half and then a great team effort to rally from 43-37 to win 47-45 against Summit View on senior night.
Near year, we hope this young team will develop, mature and work on their individual games to grow as a team and break through and make a long playoff run.
Thanks for all the hard work and sacrifice this year, Team. Fly Eagles Fly!